Pomegranate Seeds Health Benefits
Pomegranates, whose botanical name is Punica granatum, are round shaped fruits with red, juicy seeds. These fruits that are native to Southeast Asia are popular across the globe for their nutritional value. This plant is cultivated in Afghanistan, Armenia, tropical Africa, Malaysia, and Turkey. Though normally red in color, the yellow variety of this fruit is also available in a few countries.
Health Benefits of Pomegranates
There are various pomegranate seeds health benefits, one of them being that it is rich in antioxidants, which helps fight against free radicals in the body. They also help repair the damaged cells and take care of the wear and tear of the cells. Given below are few other health benefits of consuming pomegranates in any form, be it seeds or juice.
- One of the essential benefits of pomegranate seeds is that this fruit is a powerhouse of various nutrients like calcium, potassium, phosphorus, vitamins C, B complex and K, folic acid, iron, protein, etc. It is also a rich source of dietary fibers, zinc, magnesium, and carbohydrates.
- One of the major pomegranate extract benefits is strengthening the immune system and protecting the body against numerous infections and diseases.
- The juice extracted from the seeds also has many health benefits. One of the positive effects of pomegranate juice is that it reduces the symptoms of diarrhea and eases the pain caused due to this condition. But the juice must be consumed only in limit as it may lead to constipation.
- Another well-known health benefit of pomegranate juice is that it keeps a check on blood pressure. It ensures the smooth functioning of the heart and reduces the risk of cardiovascular diseases. It also prevents the formation of blood clots and the hardening of the arteries. Regular intake of any form of pomegranate will keep heart attacks and strokes at bay.
- Massaging the teeth and gums with pomegranate seed oil is beneficial in preventing teeth and gum diseases like dental caries, plaque, and gingivitis. Since pomegranate is also rich in vitamin C, it prevents the symptoms and occurrence of scurvy like bleeding gums and loose teeth.
- Pomegranate seeds help in reducing the levels of bad cholesterol in the body and trigger the production of good cholesterol. This helps in maintaining the health of the cardiovascular system and keeps disorders like heart attacks, hypertension, and strokes at bay.
- One of the main pomegranate benefits for women is that this healthy fruit maintains the level of estrogen in the body. It helps in fighting against the signs of PMS and onset of menopause like irritability, hot flashes, etc.
- There are also many pomegranate benefits for skin since this fruit has anti-aging properties and reverses the signs of aging like wrinkles, saggy and dull skin. Applying pomegranate juice directly to the skin or mixing it with a moisturizer will give the skin a fresh and healthy glow.
- Pomegranate seeds are also effective in preventing cancer. Being rich sources of phytochemicals, also referred to as polyphenols (anthocyanins, quercetin, and tannins), these seeds curb the unhealthy growth and development of certain cells, which can be cancerous in nature, in the body.
These were a few pomegranate nutrition facts. Some individuals may show allergic reactions to the pomegranate or its extracts, but this is rare in occurrence. If you observe any symptoms like swollen lips, itchy skin and appearance of rashes, consult a doctor. I hope you found this article on pomegranate seeds health benefits informative and useful. Eat nutritiously to stay healthy!