Table of Contents
Cystitis is a well-known health problem occurring in men and more often in women. It is a bladder related inflammation occurring on account of bacterial infection to the lower urinary tract. This infection is often referred to as a Urinary Infection. It is essential to understand the facts about cystitis as well as cranberries to understand if cranberries are truly a remedy for this infection.
There are several distinct types of cystitis infections such as Hemorrhagic cystitis, Eosinophilic cystitis, Traumatic cystitis, and interstitial cystitis. The last category or the Interstitial cystitis is known as the common urinary infection in layman’s words. The common symptoms of cystitis include:
- Frequent need for urination
- Painful urination and burning sensation
- Feeling of pressure in the lower part of the pelvis
Causes of Cystitis
The main causes of cystitis are:
- Usage of unhygienic undergarments
- Exposure to cystitis causing bacteria while using bathtubs or public urinals
- The infection is easily transmitted to sexually active women with changes of infection increasing in direct proportion to the frequency of sexual intercourse. In such a case the infection is popularly called ‘honeymoon cystitis’.
- The tendency to get cystitis infection can be hereditary with patients suffering from diabetes being more prone to these infections.
- Using unhygienic catheters during medical treatment has also been seen as a possible cause for cystitis infections.
Cranberries for Cystitis
Is Cranberry Juice Good for Cystitis? Cranberry juice has various benefits. Cranberries possess nutrients such as dietary fiber, manganese, high content of vitamin C, and other minerals and nutrients. Cranberries are rich in phytochemicals and antioxidants called polyphenols which have an anti-adhesion property.
A chemical called tannin present in the cranberries has an anti-clotting property which is ideal for preventing cystitis and urinary tract infections in men and women alike. The anti-adhesive property helps block the spread of urinary infections in urethra and bladders. However, doctors caution that consumption of Cranberry juice or pills cannot permanently safeguard anyone against cystitis. One needs to exercise caution and hygiene at all times to help prevent cystitis.
Goodness of Cranberries
Cranberry Juice Recipe
Cranberry Juice Tablets
Cranberry Juice is known for its extremely bitter taste. If you refrain from consuming this bitter medicine, then you may opt for consuming cranberry juice tablets. These tablets are cheaply priced and can be purchased from any pharmacy in your vicinity.
Moreover, these tablets are as effective as fresh juice. However, I recommend all readers to consult their doctors for understanding the exact dosage required to cure the ailmentCranberries, in spite of all their good value, should not be recklessly consumed. It is full of natural acids that can cause heartburn and skin reactions. So be careful, when consuming these berries. I genuinely hope that my article has enlightened you about cranberries and Is Cranberry Juice Good for Cystitis?.