Table of Contents
The date fruit is widely popular throughout the world due to its high nutritional value. Discover more about dates nutrition facts and health benefits by reading this article.
Date Fruit Nutrition Facts
Dates can be simply termed as a power pack of nutrients, despite their small size. One of the most interesting dates nutrition facts is that they are immensely rich in fiber and some of the crucial minerals like potassium, calcium, and magnesium. About 100 gm of dates can give 75 gm carbohydrates, 8 gm dietary fiber, 2 gm proteins, and 0.39 gm fats. In addition to these, dates are an excellent source of carotenoids, which are the precursor of vitamin A.
100 gm of dates also contain about 10 IU vitamin A, 0.4 mg vitamin C, 2.7 mcg vitamin K, 0.05 mg vitamin E, 19 mcg folate, 0.05 mg thiamine, 0.066 mg riboflavin, 1.27 mg niacin, and 0.165 mg vitamin B6. As far as the mineral content of dates is concerned, 100 gm of dates can provide you approximately 39 mg calcium, 656 mg potassium, 43 mg magnesium, 62 mg phosphorus, 2 mg sodium, 1 mg iron, 0.29 mg zinc, 0.2 mg copper, 0.26 mg manganese and 3 mcg selenium.
Dates Nutritional Benefits
A mere look at the dates nutritional value can give you a clear idea that these fruits are loaded with fibers, vitamins, carotenoids, and minerals. Being a rich source of such important nutrients, dates can have several important health benefits. Out of these, some of the most noteworthy date fruit benefits are enlisted below.
- Dates are great for boosting the level of energy. This easily digestible fruit can supply quick energy by providing a significant amount of carbohydrates and a host of vitamins and minerals.
- As dates contain dietary fiber, they can promote the health of the colon, ensure regular bowel movements and prevent constipation. Fiber can also help to lower the level of harmful LDL cholesterol in the body.
- The cholesterol-lowering effect of dates can improve the health of the heart and the cardiovascular system.
- One of the important dates nutrition facts is that these fruits can be used for getting relief from hangover associated with alcoholic intoxication. For this, one has to soak dates in water for a couple of minutes and then drink the water.
- Dates are rich in antioxidants, which can protect the body cells and tissues from the damaging effects of free radicals. This, in turn, can help to provide protection against a number of diseases.
- Dates are an excellent source of potassium, which can help to regulate the level of blood pressure and heart rate, and maintain the health of the nervous system.
- The presence of calcium makes dates an important food for maintaining the health of bones and teeth.
- Milk boiled with dates is considered by many as a healthy and nutritious drink for both children and adults, who are recovering from an injury or illness.
- Dates are considered as helpful in improving sexual stamina and digestion as well.
So, this was a brief overview of dates nutrition, as well as dates health benefits. To sum up, dates are one of the nutritious fruits that can be included in a healthy or balanced diet. This fruit can be incorporated into the diet in various ways. You can have dates as a healthy snack or include a few chopped dates in puddings and cakes to make them more delicious. In whatever way you consume, date fruits are sure to promote your health and wellbeing.