Orange flower water is made after a thorough process of distillation. However, it can be made at home as well, through 3 simple methods, which will be discussed in this article. These flowers are exceptionally fragrant and are mostly used in Moroccan cuisines, such as for making orange fruit recipes. The water as such has several health benefits and is rich in vitamin C and antioxidants.
It can be applied to the skin, much like how rose water is used. When mixed with a carrier oil, orange flower water can be used as a bath and a massage therapy oil. Orange flower water is not always available in all food stores, thereby making it more convenient to make your own stock, using the flowers from your own garden. However, you must be aware that this preparation takes a few weeks to steep.
How to Make Orange Blossom Water
#1 – Gas Stove Steamer Method
- Pluck a cup of orange blossoms, early in the morning, soon after sunrise and immediately wash them in cold running water.
- Allow the flowers to soak in water for the next 2 hours.
- You will need to separate the petals from its flower by plucking them individually or by gently using a pestle.
- The petals must be placed on a steamer, with special distilled water in the base and the petals on the upper bracket.
- Cover the steamer with its lid and place it on the stove on its lowest heat. Gradually the water will begin to boil, after which you must allow the water to simmer for another half an hour.
- Allow the water to cool and stay. When you open the lid, you will notice that the flower petals have become translucent or some have turned brownish red. The water beneath will be distilled orange water.
- Once you have collected this water in a jar or a bottle, seal the cap properly, so as to prevent any moisture to set into the jar. Let this jar stay undisturbed for the next one week in the refrigerator, after which you may use the orange flower water for various purposes.
#2 – Coffee Machine Method
- A unique and easy way to make orange flower water is to use a normal home coffee machine. An espresso machine can also be used for the same purpose.
- All you need to do is to collect a cup of freshly plucked flowers and keep a cup of distilled water ready on the side.
- Now place the flowers in the filter basket of the coffee machine and add the distilled water in the retainer or reservoir.
- Place the coffee maker carafe, as you usually do while making coffee.
- Start the machine, the water from the reservoir will heat up and fall onto the flowers and into the carafe.
- This process will need to be repeated 3-4 times, in order to extract as much scent and flavor from the flower, as possible.
- Allow the orange flower water in the carafe to cool down, after which you must carefully pour it into a bottle or jar, and store it in the fridge.
#3 – Orange Flower Water Perfume
- You can convert orange flower water into a mild perfume, at home using a very simple method.
- Pluck half a cup of fresh flowers and thoroughly wash them, after which you must place them on the cheesecloth.
- Place this cheesecloth on a bowl and thereafter pour distilled water onto the cheesecloth, so that all the flowers are submerged.
- Allow the flowers to stay soaked throughout the night and remove the cheesecloth along with the flowers only in the morning.
- In order to remove the cheesecloth, simply tie a knot so that all the flowers are packed along with the cloth.
- Now pour the remaining distilled water into a steamer and place it on the stove. Add a bit more distilled water if required.
- Place the cheesecloth knot into the water in the steamer and keep the flame at low heat. Allow the water to boil and continue to let it boil until only 2-3 teaspoons of water is remaining in the steamer.
- Now let this water cool down and pour the solution into a small perfume bottle.
- Now you must add 3-4 drops of pure glycerin into the bottle and let this concoction stay untouched for 2 weeks. Your orange flower water perfume is ready and as fragrant as ever!
Orange flowers are easy to work with and have a beautiful fragrance. It would be an excellent addition if you’re planning to make authentic Moroccan cuisine.